Monday, May 9, 2011

Mama's Day

"Mama"

Oh, how I love to hear that word. I never, ever knew that you two little bits would be the greatest blessings of our life. I am crazy about you, my Nat and my John, and you will never, ever know how much joy you bring me. So on this Mother’s day, it was the great blessing of being your Mama that made me as happy and grateful as a girl could be. Oh, y'all are just too cute!!


I have learned so much from my “mama’s” along the way, and I think it’s good to write it down…just in case I forget.

Sometimes days are a little bit tedious, so I need to remember the wisdom I’ve learned from my Mama and her Mama and her Mama.

From my Bigmama…I learned about having a big heart!

I learned to work hard and appreciate the simple things. Our Bigmama, she was so strong and so talented. As I’m mowing the grass or pulling weeds, I think about her. Her strong hands and beautiful gardens and human kindness. She loved us so much…oh how my heart longed to hug her and sit next to her and hold her hand on this Mother’s Day. I miss her so much.

From my Grandmama, “Ma Ma Ma,” I’ve learned to always seek to be content.

In her precious letters to me, which I cherish very much, she often reminded me of this verse in Philippians:

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

My Grandmother is so compassionate, patient and giving. I have learned a great deal about being a Proverbs 31 woman from her. Oh how precious you are to us, Grandma...You are so amazing...

From my Mama…our Gam…I’ve learned to seize the day! Sing songs, dance a jig and make a mud pie. “This is the day that the Lord has made…let us rejoice!” My mama is always hopeful, optimistic and kind. She is creative and loving, full of joy and good advice. I’m so grateful to have her to lean on, and I’m so thankful that she loves us so much (and my pink ladies won’t be surprised to know that she still calls me at 7:00 a.m. every day!). Mama, I am SO GRATEFUL for you and all you do for me...i love you so!

There’s a blog I love to follow (http://thegypsymama.com), and the writer captured being a “mama” so perfectly:

Motherhood should come with a cape, a tutor, a counselor, a massage therapist, a lifetime’s supply of chocolate, Kleenex, and therapy. Or girlfriends who’ve already been there, done that. It should come with a choir that bursts into gospel praise and chorus as the sound track to the every day moments that so few get to witness – first breaths, steps, loves, and words.

It should come with a manual. A thick one and also a Cliff’s Notes version.

It should come with a sense of humor.

Motherhood should come with a twinkle in the eye and a warning. A warning that you will never be the same; that before it’s over your heart will have cracked into a thousand tiny splinters of love so profound your body can barely contain what your soul is experiencing. That you will hurt in ways no one could prepare you for and ache with a vulnerability no one can protect you from.

And that as hard as it is, you would sign up to do it all over again without a second’s hesitation.

Happy Mother's Day, y'all.

No comments: