Thursday, July 23, 2009

gives and takes away

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name
Matt Redman

I find such comfort in song lyrics. Whenever anything happens to me throughout the day, a song pops into my mind to go with the scenario of the day.

This is the song running through my head right now.


This song that captures the mystery of life and death, and the all-knowing nature of God.


Today, the community of LaGrange experienced a huge loss. One of my sweet childhood friends, Lauren, lost her mother today very unexpectedly. Her father passed away suddenly in January of this year, and how could it be that her mother died as well? Mrs. Debbie was one of the sweetest individuals I've ever known. She was one of the first to rush to the hospital to check on my parents after their car accident. She was always so thoughtful, full of love, sweetness and hope. Her beauty and love shines through her daughters, and I can't imagine what they must be going through tonight. I don't understand why He gives and takes away. I won't understand on this earth. I do know that I must learn to praise Him no matter what. I do know that I am reminded to live life to the fullest, making the most of each opportunity. I am reminded to say, "I love you." I remember to never let the sun go down when I am angry at someone...to forgive and be forgiven daily.
I remember to cherish this life I've been blessed with...my precious husband and family, my amazing daughter, my sweet friends.

A friend at work had a dream that I died last week. She told me about it because it was so real and upsetting to her. I don't mind that she told me. It is amazing how much more I have taken in each moment since she shared her dream with me...because the truth is, we never know what day could be our last. So I go to sleep tonight with a heart full of sorrow as Mrs. Debbie has been taken away. I go to sleep praising Him because He will give peace and comfort to Lauren and her family. I go to sleep knowing that our lives are held firmly in His grasp.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

Blessed be Your name, Lord.

1 comment:

The White Family said...

Beautiful post. I had a hard time sleeping last night because I could not stop thinking about Lauren and Lee Ann. I hope that they have a chance to read your blog post one day. It was a great tribute to their mom.