Tuesday, August 17, 2010

what's in a name...

the fam on saturday night...37 weeks pregnant--baby John in the belly!
(getting ready to go out to celebrate our anniversary!)

the very special gift my grandfather gave to me (see below)

Grandpa's family history...full of "John's"

John Harman will be here so soon.
I honestly cannot wait to meet him.
Our son.
What a blessing he will be to our family.
I was so happy to learn that "John" means "God is gracious," for gracious He has been in giving us this blessing.
It was the only name Dave and I could agree on.
John.
Sweet John.
I love him so much already.
This name, John, is a special family name on both sides.
Dave's maternal grandfather's name was John.
John is a special name on my mother's side of the family as well.
Harman is my sweet daddy's father's name (my paternal grandfather). He died when I was younger, and we wanted to honor my father's side of the family as well and I think that Harman is such a beautiful name.

My grandpa (Calvin) gave sent a very special gift to my baby shower at work. He framed the meaning of the name "John" with a description of his ancestry. Grandpa is such a wonderful historian.

The letter reads:
"John"
The tendency of parents to name male children "John" probably originates with the great theologian John Calvin who lived in the early 1500's.
In the Spinks family, the first "John" I locate is my 6th great grandfather John Spinks who was born in Rhode Island on September 1, 1700. Next, his Grandson, John Spinks, my fourth great grandfather, was born about 1750 in Randolph County, North Carolina.
My paternal Grandmother's Father was John F. Williams.
My paternal grandfather was John William Spinks.
My father was John Roy Spinks.
When my brother was born, he received the name, John Roy Spinks, Jr. He died at the early age of 26.
Charlene and I had a son whom we named John Roy Spinks, III. He and his wife Tracy are the proud parents of our grandson, John Patrick Spinks.
There have been many "Johns" down through the years and each one has left his mark in his own special way.
We now welcome to the fold another "John"....namely John Harman Sprinkle. May his days on the stage of life be many and may his years be long and filled with peace.
written by Calvin T. Spinks
"Grandpa"
8/2/10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am crying again reading this--so beautifully written by Grandpa Calvin and with such love. What a gift to treasure for many lifetimes! Love you all. Lindsey

The White Family said...

How sweet! I was wondering where the name came from...so special for this Baby boy to have such a great legacy!

Shannon Lewis said...

kel - i cannot stop crying reading this. i love your grandpa so much! this is beautiful. i cannot wait to meet john. he is so lucky to have you and dave as his parents and such a spunky big sis.
i love you,
shan